M a r k e t N e w s

Kenya Energy Sector: Sollatek Electronics Incentives Solar Entrepreneurs

Posted on : Wednesday, 24th August 2016

 Sollatek Electronics latest project "Sollatek Direct: Solar Entrepreneurs in Kenya" has been selected by Energy and Environment Partnership (EEP) to received EUR 250.000 from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland, the Austrian Development Agency and the UK Department for International Development. The total project cost is over EUR 650.000, of which EEP has funded 40%, while Sollatek funds the remaining 60%. This project's objective is the successful training and supporting of a nationwide network of 60 solar entrepreneurs selling Sollatek's wide range of affordable and quality solar lanterns and solar home systems. This project will increase energy security, health and economic opportunities for rural off-grid populations in Kenya.

 
The project intends to sell numerous solar products and open up new markets in areas unfamiliar with solar technology. Sollatek expects to directly impact 99,276 households and 496,380 individual's lives currently depending on kerosene or traditional lighting methods. The results will be healthier, safer and economically empowered rural or under-served populations.
 
To ensure the success of this project, involving, encouraging and supporting female entrepreneurs is vital. Up to date the project has hired 20 female entrepreneurs out of 36 currently going through training. The women are collectively responsible for an average of KES 1.7 million in sales monthly and consistently rank in the top five performers.
 
Below is the interview with Margaret Atieno, one of the top performing female entrepreneurs from Nyanza region. She covers half of Kisumu County, attending to 20 local outlets, market days, and working with community groups, NGOs and Saccos. After two months of being involved in the project, Margaret has sold over 400 solar lanterns.

Source : www.marcopolis.net
Featured Companies
  • /
  • African Business Development Association
  • /
  • TITAN Containers A/S
  • Mercury Tube Products
  • SMES Today Magazine
  • DOOREE INTERNATIONAL CO LTD
  • africabusiness.com
  • Your Banner HERE!

Complete List  

Advertisers:

Afrotrade International Marketing, Tel: +971-50-6285684
© 1998-2021 Afrotrade